The best place to be for table top based wargaming in Dundee, Scotland! Come along and enjoy a tasty beer while playing your favourite games! 18's and over only!

HomeCalendarFAQRegisterLog in

Share | 

Narrative vs Beat Face

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Kevin Christoforou
Club Official
Club Official

PostSubject: Narrative vs Beat Face   Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:15 pm

Whats more important to you in a game of 40k? Using the models you have lovingly collected on the table? Creating a story through narrative and scenarios? Testing a devious list designed to crush all? What do you think makes a good game?

Me, I used to be turned on by thinking of the list which I thought was most effective on the table and had the best chance of winning a game. Now I'm more in favour of using the models in my collection to play scenario based games, this lets me use units that are considered sub-par and enjoy the use of my collection in games where I don't have to think of victory as the primary concern.
Back to top Go down
kramanal

PostSubject: Re: Narrative vs Beat Face   Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:30 pm

I really like the best of both worlds, competitive narrative engagements, it takes a bit of planing the scenarios but is really worth the effort.
Back to top Go down
Steven Young
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Narrative vs Beat Face   Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:01 pm

I'm definitely one of those players who prefers to create a narrative army.  I like the looks of units over there efficiency.  Although I struggle with Terminators...  but that's for another post entirely!

I don't mind building armies to counter other ones who have been dominating the scene for a while, but that's only as a challenge really.
Back to top Go down
Steve Devine

PostSubject: Re: Narrative vs Beat Face   Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:19 pm

Rule of cool for me! I'll tweak my lists a bit depending on who I'm going up against but I'm not really one for optimum list building. Mechanicum especially have a lot of really nice models, it'd be a shame to leave them on the shelf all the time just because they're not the absolute best choice.
Back to top Go down
James Hussey

PostSubject: Re: Narrative vs Beat Face   Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:48 pm

I've showed up before to a friendly game and had someone look at my army list and codex and then build a list specifically to counter everything, not ever played against him since Wink I think if you want ultra competitive games it's best decided beforehand so that you can both take that approach.
Back to top Go down
Steven Young
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Narrative vs Beat Face   Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:58 pm

Haha, I have a feeling I know who that is James.

I would never allow someone to see my list before they have theirs done now.  To be quite honest, I generally tell them they'll see what their up against when it lands on the table haha.
Back to top Go down
Andrew Mactavish

PostSubject: Re: Narrative vs Beat Face   Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:21 pm

I like narrative lists that are able to be a little competitive. I tend to build lists that i find fun and well lots of tanks as i am a tread head.
Back to top Go down
david michie

PostSubject: Re: Narrative vs Beat Face   Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:16 pm

When I used to play 40k way back when I used to show up with round about 3-5 lists and either let my opponent pick blind or roll a dice for it.

For me it was all about trying out units that no one would use.  I regularly had armies that had no shooting whatever in them.  Fantasy battle on a 40k planet.  I also took Drago wing with 13 models in 1750 points to a tournament.  Yes it was fated as being a very hard build.

But when you have Draigo and 12 other models it really isint hard to loose a game.

For me it was all about fun.  When people ask what you have brought to a battle I used to say stuff..Made it harder for them to tailor a list.
However I dont play 40k anymore so my thoughts are do what you want and what makes you happy.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Narrative vs Beat Face   

Back to top Go down

Narrative vs Beat Face
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1