The best place to be for table top based wargaming in Dundee, Scotland! Come along and enjoy a tasty beer while playing your favourite games! 18's and over only!

HomeCalendarFAQRegisterLog in

Share | 

Question of the week!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Question of the week!   Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:24 pm

Question of the week!

This week’s question:

What would you improve about your 40k army?  This can be new units, amendments to stats, etc.

Rules:

• Stick to the subject.
  • No flaming.
  • Be constructive.
  • Be sensible with your ideas... no S10 AP1 apocalypse blasts from a lasgun...
Back to top Go down
http://www.dundeewargames.co.uk
PaulPatrick

PostSubject: Re: Question of the week!   Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:05 pm

Well having two army's I'll put one for each..

Darkangels : everything the space marine dex got! Centurions and a bloody storm raven..lol

Guard: not much really..maybe some of the lost souls we had models for..marbo,guant's ghost's ans maybe a rethink on the lasgun..nothing mad like you said even tho wouldn't mind seeing a str10 ap1 apoc blast lasgun 150 templates please lol.. but maybe a ap value atleast..ap5 maybe?
Back to top Go down
Shemyaza

PostSubject: Re: Question of the week!   Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:42 pm

Erm, a few actually.

Most important would be to give the Eldar an assault capable transport !! Between Harlequin's, Banshee's, Scorpions and Axe wielding Wraith-Guard thingys, I have access to some great CC troops, but no effective delivery system (hence my usage of DE allies and Farseer's summoning in the name of Khorne).

The other Eldar thing is more contentious. As the galaxy's supreme psykers, I think they should be able to surrender a power to choose one instead. I.e. A Farseer could go from 3 powers to 2 (1 random and 1 chosen) but retain Mastery Level 3 ?

Next up would be a revision of this stupid Tau rule about a unit not being able to benefit from its own Markerlight drones. With the caveat of a limit of 1 marker drone per model (or possibly, 1 M-Drone per troop and fast, 2 M-Drone per elite and HQ and 3 M-Drone per Heavy to prevent spam) I genuinely don't think that would be unreasonable.

Chaos Deamons: Khorne Bloodletters should have more than 1 basic attack, just sayin Wink

my 2 cents Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Steven Young
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Question of the week!   Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:08 pm

Space Marines and Chapters in General:

Terminators
Terminators (Non-Assault) are nigh on useless these days with the increase in AP weapons available across the range.  Cost vs damage output and survivability is far too low.  There's also far too many WS4 and BS4 and above units.  They're supposed to be the finest marines in the Chapter!  As it stands, the only viable option is the Hammer and Shield which is... well yeah, over done and boring.

Solution: At the very least they should be Toughness 5 or have 2 wounds so they can take more hits.  I would even push to have them BS5 to make the storm bolters more viable.  You can say they would then take over the Centurions but they have got completely different roles anyway.

Dreadnoughts
Glancing hits has ended Dreadnoughts for me.  I don't believe personally that Dreadnaughts should have an armour value.  Personally I think they should have a high Toughness value so they can once again do what they do best.  I don't understand why a Tau Rips*** as its size has a toughness over an armour.

Solution: Toughness 6.  Got to happen.
Back to top Go down
Andrew Mactavish

PostSubject: Re: Question of the week!   Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:19 pm

Guard - well being a tread head cheaper leman russ but on a more serious note they really get smashed in the psychic phase would be nice to get something like the librarians psychic hood to try and deal with all the eldar trickery (spamming daemons just why? why did you do that to me?).
Back to top Go down
Steve Devine

PostSubject: Re: Question of the week!   Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:26 pm

Scuba, I agree re the Terminators. Seems strange they don't have at least BS5 as the elite of the Chapter, plus you would assume they get a bonus with all the targeting gear that a Terminator suite would have. T5 isn't a bad idea for their survivability either.

Replacing the Dreadnoughts AV with a T value can be a bit hit or miss - the Mechanicum battle automata have Toughness instead of an Armour Value, the down side to this is that even small arms can potentially damage them. On the flip side, my Castellax got into a hand to hand scrap with a dreadnought last time I played and they couldn't damage it because of it's high AV.
Back to top Go down
Kevin Christoforou
Club Official
Club Official

PostSubject: Re: Question of the week!   Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:35 pm

Honestly, nothing. I love my armies and how they function, they play as they should in my mind and Im able to take a variety of units that will still win me games. The SW codex is just what I want it to be now and I can hardly moan about the HE book either. Im with Steve on the tweak to termies and dreadnoughts though.
Back to top Go down
Steve Devine

PostSubject: Re: Question of the week!   Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:08 pm

As far as the Mechanicum go, I'd like to see some tweaks to the Thallax. One of the two compulsory troop choices in a Taghmata list. Pretty durable at T5 W3 4+ save, but their standard weapons are very odd - good strength, but short-range and only AP5 and Heavy 1....so they're not great anti-infantry weapons, they're not great anti-vehicle weapons...they just seem to fall in an awkward position where they're not really all that great at anything. And they're so short-ranged that you really have to put your guys in range of enemy infantry to shoot but then they can't stand up to massed volleys of small arms fire.

Also the annoying habit of Forge World releasing new models for a new book whilst some really cool choices in the existing books still don't have models released.....
Back to top Go down
Andrew Mactavish

PostSubject: Re: Question of the week!   Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:20 pm

well a second one for me would be for my beloved armoured company list to get updated to fit with the guard codex since my tanks are now more expensive in IA then they are in the codex.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Question of the week!   Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:30 pm

What tanks are we talking about?  And also what book do you have IA wise?
Back to top Go down
http://www.dundeewargames.co.uk
Andrew Mactavish

PostSubject: Re: Question of the week!   Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:24 pm

i have AI 1 Vol 2. it came out just before the new guard dex so has all the old points costs for Armour and a lot of other things.

well take the vanquisher, codex it's 135 IA1 Vol2 it's 155.
Back to top Go down
kramanal

PostSubject: Re: Question of the week!   Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:06 am

Steve Devine wrote:
As far as the Mechanicum go, I'd like to see some tweaks to the Thallax. One of the two compulsory troop choices in a Taghmata list. Pretty durable at T5 W3 4+ save, but their standard weapons are very odd - good strength, but short-range and only AP5 and Heavy 1....so they're not great anti-infantry weapons, they're not great anti-vehicle weapons...they just seem to fall in an awkward position where they're not really all that great at anything. And they're so short-ranged that you really have to put your guys in range of enemy infantry to shoot but then they can't stand up to massed volleys of small arms fire.

Also the annoying habit of Forge World releasing new models for a new book whilst some really cool choices in the existing books still don't have models released.....

There are some cool rules in Tempus Fugatives Cult Mechanicus codex I've put on the forum, or use the old VDR rules, to update to 7th just give the vehicle 2 HP for small, 3 HP for medium and 4 HP for large. Points will be reasonably balanced and you will still need opponents permission, but, it will allow you to field your cool stalk tanks and grav attack vehicles etc.
Open your mind to the Omnissiah, let him infect your imagination, understand that STC fragment and build your creations!
Back to top Go down
kramanal

PostSubject: Re: Question of the week!   Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:21 am

Here are the VDR rules from 5th Ed, for anyone that's lost theirs.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

All thats missing is hull points, I suggest 2 HP for small, 3 HP for normal and 4 HP for warmachines, FOC for no points cost.
Back to top Go down
Steven Young
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Question of the week!   Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:56 am

Andrew,

If the tanks are exactly the same as they are in the standard codex, use the standard codex costs (most up to date).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Question of the week!   

Back to top Go down

Question of the week!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1