The best place to be for table top based wargaming in Dundee, Scotland! Come along and enjoy a tasty beer while playing your favourite games! 18's and over only!

HomeCalendarFAQRegisterLog in

Share | 

Dundee Wargames - Roleplaying?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 

Roleplaying at DWC?
Yes - I think this would be an awesome addition.
20%
 20% [ 2 ]
Maybe - Depends on what is being played.
60%
 60% [ 6 ]
No - I don't think we should.
20%
 20% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 10

AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Dundee Wargames - Roleplaying?   Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:43 pm

This question has been asked on a number of occasions and more so recently:  Would there be any interest in a small Role Playing section within the club?

The numbers for this would be very limited so as not to disrupt the main purpose of the club which is Table Top and board games.

Give your opinions below!
Back to top Go down
http://www.dundeewargames.co.uk
Andrew Mactavish

PostSubject: Re: Dundee Wargames - Roleplaying?   Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:05 pm

it depends on the role play there is some great role playing board games like i have the dungeons and dragons board game.
Back to top Go down
Shemyaza

PostSubject: Re: Dundee Wargames - Roleplaying?   Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:36 pm

As an avid RPG player and Wargamer, I would probably lean towards no ! Really on the basis that it could be very difficult to prevent a "them and us" schism developing between War-gamers and Role-players. Especially when trying to commandeer the same space.

For example, who would get priority for table space. Would the group who don't have priority be offered a reduce cost membership to account for the potential unavailability of a table any given night. And even then, what happens if you wish to play both ?

Really don't want to come across as negative (although I'm aware that I am, lol), but having been down this path on several occasions before, it may be a headache best avoided ?

That said, if the consensus is to go for it, then I will be delighted as I am writing my own RPG just now and would love to have guinea pigs for the alpha and beta tests Wink
Back to top Go down
Yans Macintyre

PostSubject: Re: Dundee Wargames - Roleplaying?   Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:56 pm

Well Vampire: The Masquerade and Warhammer Fantasy RPG are both great games that I would love to start playing again, but I am with the above post.
Them and us is never good...
Back to top Go down
Mathew Coll
Club Official
Club Official

PostSubject: Re: Dundee Wargames - Roleplaying?   Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:26 am

I will say no, based on past experience. We tried this back at the old gaming kingdom, main issue was it pulled people away from other games even though we only played it every other week. If people are interested in maybe setting up some games with fellow members i think the forum could be a good place for this. I got Pathfinder a few years ago and would love to give it a go but have always felt the regular club nights are not the right place for this.
Back to top Go down
Andrew Mactavish

PostSubject: Re: Dundee Wargames - Roleplaying?   Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:16 am

Just a thought but could the club maybe do role play on a different night somewhere else maybe? as all it needs is a table, a bar and maybe a little peace and quiet? there's got to be a pub in Dundee that wouldn't mind the extra money from people drinking while using a table or two on a quiet night of the week? this is just a thought. may just be this infernal cough messing with my head. Razz
Back to top Go down
david michie

PostSubject: Re: Dundee Wargames - Roleplaying?   Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:33 pm

I understand the them and us, but there is only a them and us because we let it continue.

I voted yes because I embrace all forms of games, board, roleplay and tabletop.  I think it would be wrong for a Wargames club to exclude any form of game or gamer.

I am a historical gamer mainly yet I attend a predominatly games workshop club, lets not beat about the bush there is an overall emphisis on 40k and FB in the club this could be seen as being them and us as well.

But the majority rules and I visit so occasionally that either way it wouldn't really effect me.  I would be up for running a game as a DM if it gets the go ahead.

If it goes to another night then it does enforce the tem and us thing, I know the vote was recently held to allow card games I dont actually see any difference with this either.
Back to top Go down
Steve Devine

PostSubject: Re: Dundee Wargames - Roleplaying?   Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:40 pm

I agree with Dave - there is always the possibility of an 'us and them' atmosphere even with different tabletop systems.

Having an RPG table could be a boon to the club if handled well.

For one thing, it may expose RPG players to wargames they might want to get involved in.

If you have a good GM with pre-rolled characters it's also an opportunity for folks who turn up at the club and who can't get a game/table to play something.

If you have a really smart GM and the right games system it might even be possible to tie in the RPG with the wargaming. Your Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay party might be trying to steal an artifact from a ruined tower, and the level of opposition they face might be decided from the WFB game that was played the previous week with this scenario in mind.....just a thought!

Dave also makes a good point about allowing Magic:The Gathering etc at the club. Some RPGs can be very similar to skirmish level wargames if models and terrain are used to represent what's going on. That's a lot closer to actual wargaming than card games!
Back to top Go down
Yans Macintyre

PostSubject: Re: Dundee Wargames - Roleplaying?   Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:38 pm

Steve, your warhammer fantasy roleplay idea sounds like a good bit of fun.
Back to top Go down
Mathew Coll
Club Official
Club Official

PostSubject: Re: Dundee Wargames - Roleplaying?   Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:05 pm

Dammit Steve now you have me thinking back to ye days of olde when GW used to do fun stuff in White Dwarf. Anyone else remember the group of Bretonians armed with a variety of magic items from both their book and the Lizardmen one trying to escape the jungles of Lustria?
Back to top Go down
Steve Devine

PostSubject: Re: Dundee Wargames - Roleplaying?   Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:00 pm

Mathew Coll wrote:
Dammit Steve now you have me thinking back to ye days of olde when GW used to do fun stuff in White Dwarf. Anyone else remember the group of Bretonians armed with a variety of magic items from both their book and the Lizardmen one trying to escape the jungles of Lustria?

Jeez yeah, that is going back a bit! No reason why we can't come up with something similar for the club.
Back to top Go down
Alan Hunter

PostSubject: Re: Dundee Wargames - Roleplaying?   Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:52 pm

What about narrative tabletop games that walk the line between Tabletop Wargaming and RPG's?

Such as Games Workshop's Inquisitor or Wizard's D&D4th.

Both use miniatures, scenery and a tabletop to play. As mentioned earlier by Steve they are pretty much skirmish level wargames that can involve players each utilising a small warband or a single character depending on how the GM/DM wishes to run things.
Back to top Go down
MartyShaw

PostSubject: Re: Dundee Wargames - Roleplaying?   Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:09 pm

I would have to say no on the full on pencil and paper RPGS, the lighting and general background noise would ruin it a bit, but the more prop based games, like the board games, or HeroQuest / Warhammer Quest i would be well up for as they are somewhere int he middle.

I`m not against it personally and i don`t think there would be a us vs them vibe.  but as a RP player I`d not be personally hellbent on it there

In Durps (Dundee Union RP society) we tried the pub route several years back, and it was mixed feelings at best, generally the noise is too much.  Tho when it was quiet was a great atmosfear and such.
Back to top Go down
Steven Young
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Dundee Wargames - Roleplaying?   Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:54 pm

Any role playing would likely take place in the "Green Room" where we store the boards.

It's an avenue we're willing to explore if it's backed enough.

However, we're not an RPing club so there would be restrictions on what can be done.

As I say, it's something to discuss Smile
Back to top Go down
david michie

PostSubject: Re: Dundee Wargames - Roleplaying?   Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:28 pm

The green room is that the cupboard place then.

If it was to happen I think it should happen out in the open just like all the rest of the games.

I contacted DURP once, still waiting for them to get back to me (it was years ago).  Personally I like a bit of role-play but then I like trying most things.  I am even drifting back to 40k cause of the damn Quins.

It looks like unless we have a mass voting for it will be dependant on what is played.  I would be up for running an intro type session sometime just to see how it goes!

Anyone for Cathulu ?
Back to top Go down
Steven Young
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Dundee Wargames - Roleplaying?   Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:30 pm

Having taken on board what was discussed here and from the opinions of others, I have decided to run a small scale Table-Top based role-playing area.

This area will be restricted in size, but no different from past games that David Muirhead ran back in Cerberus days.

The first event I am looking to host is Deathwatch.  Hopefully the 40k Element will make this a success.
Back to top Go down
david michie

PostSubject: Re: Dundee Wargames - Roleplaying?   Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:51 pm

Nice.

Give me a shout and I might just appear.

It involves some blood and a virgin but one of these two cant be that hard to find in Dundee.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dundee Wargames - Roleplaying?   

Back to top Go down

Dundee Wargames - Roleplaying?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1